25 Eylül 2012 Salı

Iceland Highlands and More

To contact us Click HERE
It has been a very educational ten days in Iceland.  When we picked up our rental 4x4 we were toldto be very careful with river crossings. I didn’t give it much thought as I had not planned on any.  Well, our journey into the mountains andvalleys of the Highlands changed that. About 40 miles in on the rough dirt road we came to the first river tocross.  I got out, put on my high rubberboots and waded across the river the check the depth and decided our small FordEscape 4x4 could make it.  I would repeatthe exercise at about a dozen river crossings to find the shallowest section tocross.  At about 60 miles in, we came tothe deepest one and I almost turned back but charted the best course, gunned itand with water flying and trailing a cloud of steam we made it across.  I was glad when the crossings were over asthere wasn’t help available within 50 miles.
I also learned that the Icelandic word “lokad” means closed.  This is good information to know when it isposted beside a rough dirt road miles from civilization.  Knowing this can prevent the feeling you getwhen you have to turn around miles later down the road.
After leaving the spectacular glacier lagoon and beach, we headed west tothe town of Vik, where we trekked into the Highlands (crossing rivers),photographed Puffins and a variety of waterfalls and landscapes.  The mountains and scenery surround youeverywhere and photographs just don’t seem to do it justice.  Sheep were everywhere but only occasionallywould you see one of the big older males with the full curl of horns.  I know they’re not “wildlife” but there wasone multicolored big boy I just had to photograph.
There is so much of Iceland that we have not seen and if it is anythinglike what we experienced for the past 10 days we just might have to makeanother trip.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder