12 Şubat 2013 Salı

Yellowstone Gets Cold!!

To contact us Click HERE

I had a great week in the park as part of a group with my friend,  Jess Lee.  Being part of the group gave me access to theinterior of the park on a snow coach which resulted in several nice winterlandscapes.  I have to thank the othersin the group, Ed from South Africa, Pete from New York along with Daniel andIbrahim from Montreal for adding to the experience and for all the fun andlaughs.  I’ll always remember my new Canadianfriends pronouncing bison as “bee-sone” in their wonderful French accent.After the group portion of the trip was over, I continued in the park bymyself for a couple of days.  I washopeful that something special might happen. Not much going on Saturday and Sunday with the wildlife so I managed acouple of landscape images.  On Mondaymorning, my last chance, I awoke to a very cold morning.  It was about zero in Gardiner, which meant itwould be much colder in the park.  I havealways wanted to capture a nice image of a bison covered with frost, whichrequires sub-zero temperatures.  Iarrived in Lamar Valley at sunrise and it was 25 below zero but was not findingany bison.  Then, there they were, lyingdown close to one of the pullouts known as The Hitching Post.Another photographer got there about the same time and we slugged throughthe deep snow to get in position.  Dang,it was cold.  We were waiting for the sunto peek out above the mountains to light up the frosty bison but another smallherd of bison came up behind us (momentary concern of being trampled) but thenheaded down the road and ran to the ones we were photographing causing them toleave. We were highly frustrated but we knew we had been lucky.  I returned to my car, fingers and toes happyto be thawed out. As a photographer, you always want better but this was pretty darngood.  This was Yellowstone’s way ofgiving me just enough to want to come back. By the way, congrats to Jess for the opening of his new gallery inWickenburg, AZ.  It is all part of hiswestern photography, www.westernphotographers.com.The next expedition will be March 15 to Fairbanks to photograph thenorthern lights.  More sub-zeroweather.  Yum.     

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder