17 Haziran 2012 Pazar

Accretionaly Wedge #32: Uncertain Unconformity

To contact us Click HERE
Posting late for this Accretionary Wedge and I was a little overwhelmed by 'favorite' geology photo; I wasn't sure how to decide on my favorite of all time, so I narrowed down my favorite taken during the the last year...

Last summer I drove out to Bozeman, Wyoming for a GIS conference and took a rather circuitous route both outward from and back into Vermont. We decided to camp at Buffalo Bill State Park along the reservoir and then return to Cody after setting everything up. On our way back into Cody, just before the famous rodeo stadium, the setting sun illuminated this fantastic angular unconformity exposed in the Shoshone River. Based solely on the descriptions found in Torres and Gingerich (1983) I think the lower reddish unit is the Eocene Wildwood Formation overlain by the volcaniclastic Aycross Formation. I haven't done any work at all, so this is solely based on reading geologic descriptions, hope I'm close.

DSCN2805



View Angular Unconformity in a larger map

And here is a closer view of the contact; again I 'think' my interpretation is correct but please advise if I'm off base here!

DSCN2807

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder