17 Haziran 2012 Pazar

Bookcrop #4: Illustrations of the geology of Yorkshire

To contact us Click HERE

This is an e-bookcrop as I don't have a desk copy of this fantastically illustrated book, however it is on my list I bring to bookstores and flea markets! You can get your own copy here if you wish.

This book was written in 1829 by the geologist John Phillips, who was raised by and traveled with Williams Smith - and incidentally married Smith's sister - thus the significance of the dedication to Smith in his Yorkshire text. My primary interest in this text lies in the fabulous sketches of both landscapes and fossils. Phillips provides a wonderfully colored (coloured) and sketched geologic map and I've included four example cross sections - my personal favorite is the last, which includes a stratigraphic column.


Finally, just two example plates of fossils he included in the text; I really enjoy the wonderful attention to detail and illustration:

I spend a lot of time looking through the e-collections on archive.org for old illustrations like this; maybe you'll find something you've been looking for too!?

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder